Friday, September 19, 2014

Drama Thoughts & Withdrawal


It's been a week since this drama has ended (It's Okay, It's Love). To summarise, this is a psychology based romantic comedy that revolves around the lives of leads Jo InSung who is a renowned author and Gong Hyo Jin, who is a psychiatrist in a hospital. This wasn't a typical drama filled with soppy tears and a boring storyline, in fact it was the exact opposite. I personally am not a fan of melodrama and prefer to have a few laughs in between, which this show has definitely been able to bring, to not only me but lots of other people watching it as well, I'm sure. I don't want to spoiler anyone who reads this and is contemplating whether or not to start watching, but just do give this show a try.

"Even if we make choices, we still don't know what will happen in the future."

For one, it really started making me ponder over my life, what I would like to achieve, where do I want to be in 10 years. Is life all about the successes or is it about the people in it, the people who I've come to love and care for over the years? I'm always unsure of my decisions and how it would affect others, especially my family. Something that I really hate is being a disappointment to the people I love. They expect a lot of me and when I don't meet them, I feel like a failure even if they don't voice it out, it shows in their actions and body language. From the show, I learnt that I shouldn't be too mindful of such thoughts and not to entertain them for long periods of time. As the quote above says, even if we make decisions, we don't know what will happen, and it actual fact no one does, so why limit yourselves to living the life others expect you to lead instead of carving out a path for yourself, to live life for yourself to the fullest, doing things you want to do (I don't mean detrimental stuff like smoking and all, but you get what I mean).

It also taught me not to judge others just cos they're different, but to learn and understand things from their perspective, in this case, the psychiatric patients. They live and do things not by choice but because they are unwell and just because they are not as healthy as the rest of us are, doesn't make them any less worthy, in fact, it makes them extra special and should be treated with equality, love and understanding.

"We all fumble around because we're all still just trying to learn the ropes of our roles"

Mistakes are part and parcel of life and it's natural for anyone to make mistakes as no one is perfect. Learning to appreciate imperfection in this world where everyone craves and chases after perfection is skill that I think everyone should pick up. This show also focuses on the trait of learning from your mistakes and not just focusing on the mistake that has been committed. For every action taken or decision made, there must have been a reason for it. From a module I used to take in school, I learnt that "People will always make the best choice given their map of the world (their situation/perspective)". Even if the choice made at that point isn't the best for that situation, it was for the best in their point of view. That's what exactly happens as this show unfolds in the later part, where they unravel why the lead Jang Jae Yeol (played by Jo InSung) acted the way he did when he was young, and how that decision continued to snowball into greater problems that in the end would be solved with the help of girlfriend Ji Hae Soo (played by Gong Hyo Jin).

Of course, the love story between the 2 are sweet but in this case it is realistic and tackles with problems that I believe real life couples do face as well, such as monetary issues when still dating as compared to during marriage. I for one do not believe in the guy paying for everything within a relationship, especially during the dating stage as women of today also have the spending power so why should guys do it for us? :)

Anyways, with a stellar cast and amazing crew behind-the-scenes, this drama is highly recommended by me and as you can see from the title, I'm still reeling in from the fact that it has ended already. :'(


This next show, Master's Sun, is kind of a fantasy drama that is entertaining, even though it isn't all that real. Haha :D In summary, the lead actress Tae Gong Shil (also played by Gong Hyo Jin, who is an amazing actress by the way) is able to see spirits of the dead (Ghosts) and they go to her to seek favours that they could not accomplish when they were alive. Joo Joong Won (played by So JiSub, also another heart throb <3) is a very picky and demanding CEO of KINGDOM empire and both of them meet in the most unlikely circumstance. Whenever she touches him, the ghosts who are pestering her all disappear and it's the first time she has experienced this in the past 3 years so she clings to him as he gives her the sense of security that she has been searching for. The story then develops to show how their lives intertwine as she helps him out in his business using her special skill. 

To me, this show taught me something contradicting but yet it somehow makes sense, to be strong but to also learn to depend on others when need be. In the show, Gong Shil is always clingy to Joong Won and he always drives her away, despite her persistence. She tries to be independent but fails repeatedly and he slowly gives in to her, realizing she needs someone who understands her situation to protect her and make her feel safe.

Albeit a more (for lack of a better word) supernatural theme, the show comes across as heartwarming and also touches on a lot of topics such as domestic violence and the eternal yearn for beauty amongst women as the story develops and each "case" comes along.


Angel Eyes was a drama that was filled with twists and turns that you won't expect, along with heart wrenching storylines that you'll be pulled into. I didn't expect to be addicted as I started watching because of my lil sis who was adamant on me watching cos SeungRi from Big Bang was in the show. However, the storyline unravels itself with the 2 leads Park Dong Joo and Yoon Soo Wan (played by Lee Sang Yoon and Goo Hye Sun respectively and Kang Ha Neul and Nam Ji Hyun play their younger selves) as both of them lose a parent each in a tragic accident. She becomes visually impaired due to the accident and Dong Joo ends up meeting her in a planetorium years later where she works. He falls for her but is ignored as she can't see him. He starts to get close to her and shows his interest in her and eventually fall in love with each other. 

They are sadly separated when she finally is able to get a cornea transplant as the corneas were donated to her by none other than Dong Joo's mother who has come to love her as a daughter, when she gets into an accident and passes away after the accident due to an unexpected person who injects her with poison after the surgery was successful. Dong Joo leaves a note and his contact details for her before going on to Boston to study and becomes a doctor there. She waits for him and they finally reunite after 12 years in Korea where she lives out his dream of becoming a firefighter but is unable to recognise him as she has never seen him despite their dating due to her loss of vision. She also has a boyfriend which further complicates the situation that both Dong Joo and Soo Wan are in, where secrets of the past are slowly revealed as the story develops.

Even though enveloped by problems and obstacles, sweet moments of the couple keep everyone rooting for this relationship, hoping they will work it all out and still find their way back to each other, understanding each other. :)

I guess I'm hooked on these dramas as all have a common theme running through them(besides the fact that they are all SBS dramas) and that is, that love can overcome all odds, whatever they may be. As peculiar and dramatic as the situations in these shows may be, they do portray an innocent, strong and pure love that I probably want to experience in this insignificant life of mine, amongst the billions of people that this Earth houses. And that small part of me wishes that my other half will cherish me as much as the couples in these shows have done so for each other.

** The above are just my thoughts of some of the dramas that I've been watching and does not condemn any other drama out there. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment